Images of weddings in India usually consist of a large family gathering with elaborate clothing and celebration. Marriage Registration Online in Tamil Nadu is a quick and easy way to simplify the process for registering your marriage to adhere to the law-even if you plan a more intimate affair.
The Tamil Nadu state government now makes it possible for newly married couples to register their marriage online and get an official marriage certificate from the government. The steps are rather simple and can be done from home.
- 1 Importance of Registering Marriage
- 2 Marriage Registration Online in Tamil Nadu Overview
- 3 Eligibility for Online Marriage Registration in Tamil Nadu
- 4 Documents Required for Online Marriage Registration in Tamil Nadu
- 5 How to Apply For Marriage Certificate Online in Tamil Nadu
- 6 Time for Online Registration of Marriage in Tamil Nadu
- 7 Online Marriage Certificate from CSCs
Importance of Registering Marriage
Actually, registering a marriage with the government is very important. Such a registration gives the couple, a lot of benefits under the laws. Here’s a list of some of the benefits that a couple can avail upon registering their marriage with the state government.
- Possibility for the bride to assume husband’s name after marriage
- Addition of spouse name in bank accounts
- Appointing the spouse as the legal heir
- Application for new LPG connection as married couple
- Possibilities to take housing and vehicle loans jointly from banks and financial institutions
- Inclusion of both spouse’s names on a child’s birth certificate to prove legitimacy
Additionally, you can also include your spouse’s name on the ration card of your household, after marriage.
Marriage Registration Online in Tamil Nadu Overview
|Name Of The Scheme||Tamil Nadu Marriage Registration|
|Launched By||Government Of Tamil Nadu|
|Beneficiary||Citizens Of Tamil Nadu|
|Mode Of Application||Online/Offline|
|Contact Details:||Telephone – 044-24640160|
Email – [email protected]
Eligibility for Online Marriage Registration in Tamil Nadu
Here’s the eligibility criteria for couples to register the marriage online in Tamil Nadu.
- At least one of the spouse should be a permanent resident of Tamil Nadu state
- The bride must be over 18 years of age while the groom should be above 21 years of age.
- The couple should have got married under any marriage act of the Indian Civil Code
- Should possess a marriage certificate issued by a priest from the shrine or ceremony where the marriage was held
- The marriage should be held in the state of Tamil Nadu
Upon meeting these criteria, it is possible for the couple to apply for a marriage certificate online.
Documents Required for Online Marriage Registration in Tamil Nadu
Here’s a list of documents that are necessary for online registration of marriage. You have to submit these documents in scanned copies not exceeding 100mb in size
- Copy of the marriage certificate issued by the priest or registrar of marriage with official stamp and signature.
- Aadhar card copies of the spouses
- Passport sized photos of each spouse not exceeding 100mb in size
- Proof of residence or address in Tamil Nadu
How to Apply For Marriage Certificate Online in Tamil Nadu
Follow these simple steps to register your marriage online in Tamil Nadu
- To apply for an online marriage certificate, visit this website.
- Clearly mention your name and the name of your spouse, before and after marriage
- Upload scanned copies of the documents
- Provide details of your email ID and mobile number
- Click Submit
You will receive a One Time Password on your mobile. Key in and click Submit once again. Now your request for online registration for marriage is completed.
Time for Online Registration of Marriage in Tamil Nadu
Generally, it takes about 30 working days for the Tamil Nadu government to register your marriage. Upon successful registration, you will receive an SMS on your mobile phone and an email informing you that the certificate can be downloaded from the above website.
Online Marriage Certificate from CSCs
You can also apply for an online marriage certificate from the Tamil Nadu government through any of the Common Services Centres in the state. Here, you will have to pay a fee of Rs.100 per registration and Rs.30 for downloading the online certificate.
Upon downloading the certificate, get it attested by the Registrar of Marriages under whose jurisdiction you’re living.
- Mukhyamantri Kanya Sumangala Yojana – Complete Guide
- Gram Suraksha Yojana Rural Postal Life Insurance Scheme
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana: Benefits, Eligibility Criteria, How to Apply Online
- Senior Citizens Savings Scheme (SCSS): Complete Guide
- Bihar Mukhya Mantri Kanya Utthan Yojana: Complete Guide
- Bihar Free Laptop Yojana 2021 Online Registration | Eligibility Criteria | Complete GuideRenewal
At the time of writing this article, the online registration of marriages function was not fully functional. However, the Tamil Nadu government is expected to get the service ready by the end of 2022, to facilitate couples in the state to register their marriage online.
What is the fee for marriage registration in Tamilnadu?
The government charges a registration fee of Rs 100 under the Hindu Marriage Act, while people have to pay Rs 150 for acquiring an application form under the Special Marriage Act.
Is registration of marriage is mandatory in Tamil Nadu?
Yes, The Registration Department, by an order dated November 24, has ordered that all marriages of persons belonging to different ethnic, religious groups residing in the State must be registered in accordance with the Tamil Nadu Marriages Registration Rules 2009.