GST Number: The Goods and Services Tax Identification No (GSTIN) is a 15-digit unique identification number assigned to every taxpayer who is registered under the GST regime. This includes primarily dealers, suppliers, and any other business entities.
It is completely free of cost to obtain a GSTIN and register for GST. Prior to the introduction of GST, state tax authorities used to issue a unique TIN number to all dealers registered under the state VAT law. However, GSTIN has now replaced the TIN number.
As of now, business entities that register under GST are given a unique identification number, i.e., the GSTIN.
Generate eWay Bill on Portal: Registration, Tax, Rules & Details of EWB
GST Number Format
The GSTIN is a 15-digit identification number that is assigned to every taxpayer registered under the GST regime. It is based on the state and PAN of the taxpayer.
Here’s how the GSTIN is structured:
- The first 2 digits number represents the state code where the taxpayer is registered.
- The next ten digits are the taxpayer’s PAN (Permanent Account Number).
- The thirteenth digit indicates the number of registrations that the taxpayer has within a state under the same PAN.
- The fourteenth digit is always “Z” by default.
- The last digit is a check code that is used to detect errors in the GSTIN. It can be a number or an alphabet.
Online PAN Card Download and Duplicate Pan Card Application Process 2023
State Code of GST Number
|01 – Jammu & Kashmir|
02 – Himachal Pradesh
03 – Punjab
04 – Chandigarh
05 – Uttarakhand
06 – Haryana
07 – Delhi
08 – Rajasthan
09 – Uttar Pradesh
10 – Bihar
11 – Sikkim
12 – Arunachal Pradesh
|13 – Nagaland|
14 – Manipur
15 – Mizoram
16 – Tripura
17 – Meghalaya
18 – Assam
19 – West Bengal
20 – Jharkhand
21 – Orissa
22 – Chhattisgarh
23 – Madhya Pradesh
24 – Gujarat
|25 – Daman & Diu|
26 – Dadra & Nagar Haveli
27 – Maharashtra
28 – Andhra Pradesh
29 – Karnataka
30 – Goa
31 – Lakshadweep
32 – Kerala
33 – Tamil Nadu
34 – Pondicherry
35 – Andaman & Nicobar Islands
Last Date To File ITR (AY 2023-24): Details to File Income Tax Return for FY 2022-23 Due Date
Online Registration for GST
To register for GST online, follow these steps on the GST portal at https://services.gst.gov.in/services/quicklinks/registration:
- Click on ‘New Registration‘ and fill in your personal details, such as your name, email ID, and mobile no. in Part A of the application.
- It will verify your details by sending an OTP to your registered mobile and email.
- After the verification process completion, you will receive an Application Reference No. that is (ARN) via mobile or email.
- Fill in Part B of the application using the ARN. where you provide documents such as photographs, proof of the location of your business, bank account details, the constitution of the taxpayer, and an authorization form.
- Provide all the necessary information and upload the required documents in the application. You can submit the application using DSC or Aadhaar OTP.
- After submitting Part B, the GST officer will verify your application within 3 working days. If the officer approves your application, then can you will receive your Certificate of Registration (Form GST REG 06). If the officer requires more information, they will use the Form GST-REG-03 to request it.
- If additional details are required, you must provide them within 7 working days. Once you have provided the information, the officer will either approve or reject your application using Form GST-REG-05.
- If the officer approves your application, then you will receive a Certificate of Registration.
Ensure that you provide genuine and accurate details during the registration process to avoid any delays or rejection of your application.
Verifying a GSTIN number Steps
- Go to the GST Portal at https://www.gst.gov.in/.
- Click on the “Search Taxpayer” option on the menu bar.
- Enter the GSTIN number you want to verify in the search box, along with the captcha code.
- If the GSTIN is valid and registered under GST regulations, you will receive the following details within seconds:
- GSTIN Status
- Registration Date
- Type of Business Structure (e.g. Company, Sole Proprietorship)
- Type of Taxpayer (e.g. Regular Taxpayer, Composition, SEZ Unit)
Income Tax Act: Under Section 80G Deduction Eligibility and Details
Benefits Of Online GSTIN Search and Verification
- Authenticity check: You can ensure that the GSTIN provided by a vendor or supplier is genuine and registered with the government.
- Easy verification: The online tool makes it quick and easy to verify the GSTIN of a business or individual, saving you time and effort.
- Fraud prevention: By verifying GSTINs, you can avoid associating with vendors who may be using fake or invalid GSTINs to deceive customers.
- Protection against fraud: Verification of GSTINs helps to prevent fraud and protects your business against financial losses and legal troubles.
- Correction of errors: The tool can also help you correct any errors made while reporting GSTINs, ensuring that your records are accurate and up-to-date.