NMMS or National Means cum Merit Scholarship is a scholarship examination that is held yearly for students who have completed their 8th standard or are currently studying in 8th grade. No student above the class 11th can appear for this exam. Students can apply for the scholarship from 8th through 11th.
The scheme was launched by the government to help motivate the students belonging to the lower classes to complete at least their higher education if not pursue a degree.
Eligibility Criteria for Applying for NMMS Scholarship?
There are a few conditions for getting the NMMS Scholarship, and if a student fulfills these conditions, only then can he or she apply for the NMMS Scheme. The three conditions are:
- The student must be an Indian.
- The students must have completed his/her 8th standard and should be below the 12th standard.
- They should fall under the eligibility criteria that are structured to include their aggregate marks of the standard they are in as well as their parent’s income.
- They should be registered under the NMMS Scheme on https://scholarships.gov.in/
- For getting the scholarship, the student must have the Basic Knowledge to pass the NMMS Exam with a minimum of 40%.
Important Dates – NMMS Scholarship 2022
|Application Starts Date||01-01-2022|
|Application Last Date||15-01-2022|
|Verification of Registered Schools by SCERT||01-01-2022 to 17-01-2022|
|Online Approval of Online Applications||03-01-2022 to 23-01-2022|
|Admit Card Released On||17-02-2022 to 27-02-2022|
|Date of Exam||27-01-2022|
|Provisional Answer Key Uploaded On Portal||02-03-2022|
|Date of Objection on Answer Key||10-03-2022|
Exam Pattern for NMMS Scholarship 2022
Students who appear for the NMMS Scholarship Exam have to give two papers each. Part 1 consists of the MAT (Mental Ability Test) and Part 2 is the SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test). Both the papers consist of 90 questions of one mark each and are given 90 minutes to solve each paper. Model question papers, as well as last year’s papers for both the tests, are available on NCERT website as well as some other websites.
What is Mental Ability Test (MAT)?
MAT or Mental Ability test is the first part of the NMMS Scholarship exam. This is a 90 mark paper containing 90 questions of one mark each, all of which are compulsory. The paper is divided into three parts.
The first part tests the mental ability of students and is for 45 marks. The questions in this part of the paper could be asked on analogy, classification of objects, Numerical Series, Patterns, Perception, and even Hidden Figures.
The other two parts test the language study of the students on English for 20 marks and Hindi for 25 marks.
What is Scholastic Ability Test (SAT)?
SAT or the Scholastic Aptitude Test, checks the knowledge of the students on various subjects like Social studies for 35 marks, Science for 35 marks, and maths for 20 marks. The questions are all based on the portion of their current and last year’s subjects.
How to Apply for NMMS?
A person can apply for the NMMS Scheme both online as well as offline. The procedure for both is given below:
Procedure to Apply for NMMS Scholarship Online
- Go to the official website of the national scholarship portal >>> click here
- The home page will open before you
- Click on the new registration Option
- You will be redirected to a new page where you have to read the instructions and tick on the undertaking
- Click on continue
- A new page will open before you where you have to enter all the required details which are as follows:-
- State of domicile
- Scholarship category
- Name of student
- Scheme type
- Date of birth
- Mobile number
- Email ID
- Bank IFSC code
- Bank account number
- Identification details
- Captcha code
- Click on the register option
- You have now applied for an NMMS scholarship
Procedure to Apply for NMMS Scholarship Offline
- Go to the official website of NMMS Scholarship
- The homepage will open before you
- Click on NMMS Scholarship
- Click on the download form link
- A form will open on your screen in PDF Format
- Download this form and take a printout of it
- Fill this form by entering all the required information like your name, email id, address, etc
- Attach all the required documents to the form
- Submit this form to the concerned department.
What are the Documents Required for the Application of NMMS?
- Mobile Number
- Email Id
- Identification details like Aadhaar Card
- Bonafide Student Certificate from School
- Report Card of last year
- Domicile Certificate / Permanent residence Proof
- Bank Account Details
- Caste Certificate
- Income Certificate
- Disability Certificate (If Applicable)
- Ration Card
- Passport Size Photograph
- National Scholarship Portal (NSP) | Last Date to Apply, Registration Form, Eligibility
- MAHADBT Scholarship 2022 Registration, Dates, Online form, Application
- Rajasthan Teacher Recruitment 2022: 32,000 Vacancies for Primary & Upper Primary Teachers
- Gate Admit Card 2022 Release Date and Time | Download Gate Admit Card at iitkgp.ac.in
Other Important Details of the NMMS Scheme
- For receiving the scholarship the awardees should get clear promotion from class 8 to class 9th.
- The scholarship is payable at the secondary and higher secondary stage or equivalent classes of 9th to 12th for a maximum period of four years.
- Students can avail of this scholarship for studies in India only.
- For getting this scholarship in class 10th and 12 the awardees are required to get clear promotion in class 9th to 10th and from class 11th to 12th in the first attempt with at least 55% marks.
- Relaxation will be provided in SC and ST categories.
- The relaxation will be 5%.
- This scheme will be reviewed after three years.
- The department will monitor the scheme at regular intervals with concerned stakeholders.
- For effective implementation and monitoring of this scheme, a technical support group will be constituted.
- If any school or educational institution does not examine at the end of class 9th or 12th the scholarship for 2nd year will be continued on the submission of a certificate to this effect from the head of the institution or school.
- For the continuation of this scholarship, the awardee is required to obtain at least 60% marks in class 10th.
- If a student is obtaining a scholarship from the state of Central Government then he or she will not be eligible to take benefit of this scheme.
- The scholarship awardee is required to open a bank account in the State Bank of India or any public sector bank or scheduled bank.
- The state government will upload the list of beneficiaries on the scholarship portal.
- This list will be scrutinized by the ministry and sanction of funds from the annual budget provision will be made.
- The amount of the scholarship will be directly disbursed into the bank account of the beneficiary.
- The awardee is required to obtain at least 55% marks in class 9th and 11th and 60% marks in class 10th for the continuation of the scholarship.
- It is the responsibility of the State Bank of India to ensure that the scholarship is provided to the beneficiary in one go after getting funds and a list from the ministry.
- Other than that the State Bank of India will also instruct its branches to coordinate with the state education department in connection with the payment of scholarships.
FAQs Related to NMMS
Q. What is the fee that is to be paid for NMMS application?
Ans – Rs. 100
Q. What is the late fee for NMMS application?
Ans – Rs. 100
Q. What is the age criteria for NMMS Scholarship?
Ans – Only 8th pass students can apply for this scholarship
Q. What is the website for applying for NMMS?
Q. What are the cut-off marks for open category?
Ans – 40% in both MAT as well as SAT individually. This cut off however can increase if the percentile increases
Q. What is the full form of NMMS?
Ans – The full form of NMMS is National Means cum Merit Scholarship