On February 1, 2022, India’s Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman introduced the government’s four big priorities in the Union Budget Speech 2022.
Productivity, Climate Action, Financing Investments, and PM Gati Shakti Master Plan are four big priorities.
In this article, we are discussing the PM Gati Shakti National Master Plan.
What is PM Gati Shakti?
In the Union Budget 2022 speech, the Finance Ministry had stated that the PM Gati Shakti National Master Plan is the transformative approach for economic growth and sustainable development.
This 100 lakh crore project aims to develop a ‘holistic infrastructure’ including development, productivity growth, energy transmission, climate action, and investment financing.
About PM Gati Shakti
On the 75th Independence day, PM Modi announced the PM Gati Shakti National Master Plan. It is a digital platform for Multi-Modal Connectivity.
This digital platform is launched for bringing, collaborative planning, and coordinated implementation of infrastructure connectivity projects of 16 ministries, including railways and roadways.
The primary purpose of the Gati Shakti is to create cooperation between infrastructure and logistics. It will help to collaborate and maintain alliances between people and goods and locations of projects.
Union of these seven engines will boost the economic growth of India.
Current authorities of energy transmission, IT communication, bulk water and sewerage, and social infrastructure support this initiative.
It is powered by clean energy and Sabka Prayas Sabka Prayas (the central government’s state government ).
The main focus areas of this scheme are planning, financing, with the help of technology, and speedy process.
Benefits of PM Gati National Master Plan scheme:
- PM Gati National Master Plan will boost India’s economy because this master plan will accelerate productivity and speed of work as it will be the new infrastructure based modern-technology that will help maintain the logistic alliance between various modes, movements, projects, and locations.
- The scheme will create many job opportunities for the working class since this approach is powered by clean energy and Sabka Prays.
- All the data exchange will be brought to Unified Logistics Interface Platform (ULIP), designed for application programming interface (API).
This will help to reduce logistic time and cost and also track the different movements and modes in real-time.
- All stakeholders can have real-time information.
- It will provide an open-source mobility stack for arranging effortless travel of passengers.
Upcoming things mentioned in the Union Budget 2022-23/
Key highlights on PM Gati Shakti National Masterplan:
- To facilitate quick movement of people and goods, a scheme for expressway will be farmed in 2022-23.
- Twenty thousand crores will be allotted to expand the national highway network by 25,000 kilometers in 2022-23.
- All exchanged data will be brought to a new Unified Logistics Interface Platform. This will help to operate different modes of transport and locations and also allow access to real-time information.
- A new-open mobility stack is introduced to organise effortless passenger travel.
- Through public-private-partnership (PPP) mode, contracts for implements of multi-modal logistic parks at four locations will be awarded in 2022-23.
- Indian railways will start new products and logistics services for small farmers and minor and medium enterprises.
- Railways will integrate railways and postal networks for easier transportation of parcels.
- Under the ‘Kavach’ initiative, a 2,000-kilometre railway network will be brought for safety and capacity expansion.
- In the next three years, 400-new generation Vande Bharata trains will be brought. They will have better energy efficiency and good facilities to improve the travelling experience.
- Additionally, 100 PM Gati Shakti cargo terminals will be developed for multi-modal logistics facilities.
- Innovative financing options will be supported to build proper metro systems.
- Multi-model connectivity will be developed between mass urban transport and railways stations.
- ‘One station, one product’ concept will be spread to help local businesses.
- The National Ropeways Development Programme will be managed in a public-private-partnership mode. It is known as Parvatmala, a preferred ecologically sustainable alternative to conventional road systems in hilly areas.
A Vision of PM Gati Shakti :
PM Gati Shakti will incorporate the following infrastructure schemes:
|Ministries and State Governments||Bharatmala, Sagarmala, inland waterways, dry/land ports, UDAN, etc.|
|Economic Zones||textile clusters, pharmaceutical clusters, defense corridors, electronic parks, industrial corridors, fishing clusters, Agri zones.|
|Technology||ISRO (Indian Space Research Organisation) imagery developed by BiSAG-N (Bhaskaracharya National Institute for Space Applications and Geoinformatics).|
Reasons Behind launching PM Gati Scheme?
- Previously, due to a lack of coordination between different departments, expenditures were wasted.
For example: To lay underground cables, gas pipelines, etc., many agencies dug up the constructed roads. This causes inconvenience and waste of expenditure used in construction.
- The approval process and multiplicity of regulatory clearances take a lot of time.
This scheme will address such issues and improve coordination between people and goods.
This will help in holistic planning for stakeholders for major infrastructure projects.
All projects will be designed and carried out with a shared vision.
Six Pillars of PM Gati Scheme:
|Comprehensiveness||All departments’ activities will be visible to every department.|
|Prioritisation||Departments will be able to prioritise their projects through cross-sectoral interactions|
|Optimization||Assist ministries in identifying critical gaps before starting the projects. Select the most optimum route for transportation|
|Synchronisation||It will ensure coordination and communication between different departments.|
|Analytical||It will provide the entire data of projects.|
|Dynamic||It will allow departments to visualise, review and monitor the progress of cross-sectoral projects. It will help identify the vital interventions for enhancing and updating the master plan.|
In October, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the PM Gati Shakti portal.
Through this portal, different departments have information, track ongoing projects, and transport of people and goods.
Under this scheme, Indian railways will bring various facilities, which will lead to the public’s betterment.
PM Gati Shakti’s approach will lead to India’s economy and sustainable development.
Other Important Related Articles: