In 2005, the Government of India had launched the National Rural Employment Guarantee Act to ensure the ‘Right to Work’ in rural regions.
This scheme was renamed to MGNREGA, i.e., Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act from National Rural Employment Guarantee Act.
The scheme aims to provide security and increase livelihood quality in rural regions in India. This is achieved by providing the rural people minimum of 100 days of wage employment in a year.
One-third of women are guaranteed to provide employment under this scheme. This job will be unskilled manual work.
Any adult individual can apply for MGNREGA employment by visiting the Gram Panchayat of their region.
This article discusses the MGNREGA function area, objectives, application process, eligibility criteria, etc.
For Whom MGNREGA is Launched?
MGNREGA exclusively works in regional areas in India.
Under Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act, a paid job will be provided to at least one member of every rural family for 100 days in a financial year.
These members must volunteer to do unskilled works such as creating wells, ponds, roads, and canals in rural India. This creation of long assets would be an addition to rural regions’ development.
What is the Significance of MGNREGA?
- MGNREGA is the largest social project that aims to give a minimum of 100 days of paid work to workers in rural regions.
- This drive will lead towards a better lifestyle, as it ensures the monthly income of workers.
- The creation of assets such as walls, ponds, and roads will make rural lives much easier due to the accessibility of roads and water.
- Reduction of urban migration from rural areas can be seen, as this scheme will provide work and earning opportunities.
- It will lead towards the development of rural infrastructure.
Who Can Apply for MGNREGA?
- The Central Government has made Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act applicable in rural areas of every state in India.
- If you wish to be a beneficiary of this scheme, you must fit in the following eligibility criteria.
Eligibility Criteria of MGNREGA
- Must hold domicile from where they are applying (Locality proof)
- Must be above 18 years of age
- Candidate must submit their MGNREGA application to their region’s Gram Panchayat.
- A candidate must be willing to do unskilled labour.
If you match the criteria mentioned above and wish to apply for the scheme, you must hold an NREGA job card.
To know the concept of NREGA job cards, read further.
What is an MGNREGA Job Card?
Every candidate registered under the MGNREGA scheme with local Gram Panchayat will be given an MGNREGA job card.
MGNREGA job card id serves as an identity card of MGNREGA scheme beneficiaries.
On this Identity card, the MGNREGA registered individual’s details are mentioned, such as name, MGNREGA registered number, a photograph of the applicant, job record, and details of applicants in Gram Panchayat, etc.
It serves as documentary proof of the employment claim.
Key Features of MGNREGA Job Card:
- An MGNREGA registered person must have this identity card because it allows them to apply for paid local work with their household.
- It ensures transparency of the process and protects the workers from fraud.
- An applicant can complete the KYC procedure at a bank and open bank accounts through this identity card.
- This scheme is payable if an applicant is not employed within 15 days after application.
- MGNREGA is valid for upto five years and can be renewed whenever an individual wants.
- Under this scheme, an applicant is appointed to work within a 5 km radius. If the distance increases, an individual asks for a travel allowance or 10 % of the extra wages for travel.
Documents Required to Apply for MGNREGA Job Card:
- Aadhar Card
- Ration card
- Voter card
- PAN card
How to Apply for an MGNREGA Job Card?
Considering the possibility of poor internet connection in rural areas in India, the government has made the application process of this scheme offline.
However, a candidate can download the application form from the official NREGA website (www.nrega.nic.in). After downloading, an applicant needs to fill in all the details and submit them to the Goan office or any other equivalent office of their respective area.
An applicant can get an NREGA job card from the local Gram Panchayat or apply through plain paper.
While applying through plain paper, an applicant must submit the following important details:
- Genfer, Name , age Name, age, and gender of all NREGA Job Card Applicants given at the Gram Panchayat
- Name of village
- Name of household
- Name of block
- Details of whether the applicant(s) is/belong to SC/ST/IAY/LR
- Specimen signature/Thumb impression of applicants
After submitting the application form and required documents, an applicant will receive an NREGA job card within 15 days.
Payment Process of MGNREGA
- Under the NREGA scheme, a Job cardholder will receive their payment directly to their bank account. This will be the same bank account number mentioned on the job card.
- The amount of payment id depends on provided work.
- If an NREGA Job cardholder does not have a bank account, then they can open a bank account using an MGNREGA job card as a KYC documentary proof.
Sometimes, the NREGA payments may be made out in cash due to delayed or weak processes of post offices and banks. This cash-based payments process is allowed only with beforehand knowledge and permission from the Ministry and State Governments respect.
All workers will be given equal salary, as per their work, irrespective of their gender.
How to Check MGNREGA Account Balance?
Currently, no online facility is made available to check the NREGA account balance.
But, through the NREGA Job Card, a worker can check their NREGA account balance, as it includes certain details for a specific period.
These details show the number of completed working days of an employee and per day fixed amount.
The daily salary varies from state to state and from time to time.
Role of MGNREGA in Covid 19
Covid- 19 has poorly impacted every one of us in every way, especially on the rural and backward people.
Thus, in 2020 Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has made a beneficial announcement for workers under MGNREGA.
Read the following announcements made by India’s Finance Minister;
1. Workers would get a hike of Rs. 2000 each on average.
2. Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) will provide the extra amount of Rs. 1000 in two installments for three months, to three crore people, which includes:
- Senior citizens
- Disabled person
3. Rs. 31,000 crore funds will be provided for
- Medical testing
- Better health care facilities
National Rural Employment Guarantee Act is a key scheme in developing rural areas of India.
Along with providing guaranteed employment and security in rural areas,
this scheme has opened the way of spending more power in rural areas, thus leading towards India’s consumption growth.
It enhances Gram Panchayat’s power and improves the infrastructure of villages with better accessibility to water resources and using natural lands.
If you are above 18 years of age and willing to do unskilled work, you can avail of this scheme’s benefits. This article has given complete information about Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee.
FAQs Related to MGNREGA
Q. What is the validity of the MGNREGA Job card?
Ans – Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee (MGNREGA) job card is valid upto five years from the date of employment.
Q. Is there any difference between NREGA and MGNREGA?
Ans – No, NREGA and MGNREGA are the same. NREGA is renamed MGNREGA after passing an act in the nomenclature of the National Rural Guarantee Act, 2005.
Q. Is the MGNREGA scheme only valid for Below Poverty line people?
Ans – The MGNREGA scheme is available for every rural person above 18 years of age.
Q. After how many days will I get an MGNREGA job card?
Ans – You can get an MGNREGA job card within 15 days after application.
Q. Who launched MGNREGA and when?
Ans – The MGNREGA Act is frist propped in 1991 by P.V. Narasimha Rao.
On August 23, 2005, it was officially launched.
Q. How many districts do MGNREGA cover in India?
Ans – MGNREGA covers 708 districts in the year 2021.