Do you know India has the 3rd most accidents, among 199 countries?
According to the statistics, 17 accidents occur every hour, while India has around one percent of the world’s vehicle population. It also contributed to six percent of global road traffic incidents.
Seventy percent of accidents involve the younger generation, and in these scenarios, primarily senior citizens, vulnerable, and the poor get hurt.
India’s three to five percent GDP is being invested in road accidents.
Overspeeding, T-Junction, fast and risky manoeuvres and illegal street races on the roads, and improper construction of highways, are the reasons for accidents.
But the foremost reason is not following or being unaware of the road safety rules and regulations.
Following the road safety rules and regulations ensures the safety of drivers and everyone around them. If everyone follows road safety rules, it will reduce the significant amount of accidents in India.
This article discusses road safety rules in India.
- 1 General Road Safety Rules in India
- 1.1 1. Be on your left side
- 1.2 2. Be on the left side when you turn left
- 1.3 3. Turn right
- 1.4 4. Overtake from the right
- 1.5 5. Maintain your speed
- 1.6 6. Be careful at interactions
- 1.7 7. Let others pass
- 1.8 8. Move aside
- 1.9 9. Use zebra crossing
- 1.10 10. U-turn
- 1.11 11. Use indicators
- 1.12 12. Park at parking place only
- 1.13 13. Number plate registration
- 1.14 14. One-way roads
- 1.15 15. Stop lines
- 1.16 16. Do not tow
- 1.17 17. Do not make noise
- 1.18 18. Obey signals
- 1.19 19. Do not have obstruction of view
- 1.20 20. Right of way
- 1.21 21. Maintain your speed
- 1.22 22. Tractors and Goods
- 1.23 23. Overloading
- 1.24 24. Carrying explosive/flammable things are prohibited
- 1.25 25. Reverse driving
- 2 Road Safety Rules for cars
- 3 Road Safety Rules for Bikes:
- 4 Road Safety Rules for Kids / Children
- 4.1 1. Be aware of safety signals
- 4.2 2. Be attentive to horns and another warning
- 4.3 3. Do not run on busy roads
- 4.4 4. Use sidewalks
- 4.5 5. Do not stick hands outside of the vehicle
- 4.6 6. Stay away from blind spots
- 4.7 7. Ride bicycle safely
- 4.8 8. Do not disturb moving vehicles
- 4.9 9. Look around while getting out of the vehicle
- 4.10 10. Avoid doing other things while driving
- 4.11 11. Wear bright clothes
- 5 Conclusion:
General Road Safety Rules in India
1. Be on your left side
While driving, always ride or drive on the left side of the road so that other vehicles can overtake from your right side.
2. Be on the left side when you turn left
When you take a left turn, start with approaching the curb from the left-most lane. Keep enough distance for oncoming vehicles to pass.
3. Turn right
When you take a right turn, come to the center of the road and start going to the right curb. Try maximum to stay away from the left curb to cut the contact with oncoming traffic.
4. Overtake from the right
Do not try to overtake other vehicles from the left; you will be in trouble due to less space. Thus, go on the right side if you want to overtake.
5. Maintain your speed
Do not increase vehicle speed when you are being overtaken by another vehicle.
6. Be careful at interactions
Road interactions have more traffic and less space. You have to drive your vehicle steadily and quickly. Keep driving to avoid inconvenience to other road users.
7. Let others pass
At interactions, give the right of way to other vehicles, so they can continue passing without stopping in that direction, where you might be heading.
8. Move aside
If you listen or see an ambulance siren or any other emergency vehicle coming, take your car off the road or aside.
9. Use zebra crossing
Pedestrians must walk on or use zebra crossing drawn on the road while walking/crossing the street. It increases the chances of safety for walkers and drivers.
Take U-turns only when you have given prior signs and indications to other vehicles. Ensure there is no risk while taking a U-turn.
11. Use indicators
If you plan to change your travel directions, use left-right arrows. Use hand signals in case indicators of vehicles are damaged.
12. Park at parking place only
Do not park your vehicles other than the parking space. If you do so, it causes disturbance to other road users, or you might have to pay the penalty.
13. Number plate registration
A number plate is the identity of the vehicle. It should be celery visible while driving the vehicle. If it is broken and damaged, try to replace it as soon as possible at the RTO or servicing center. Traffic police might charge fees if you drive a vehicle without a license plate.
14. One-way roads
On the one-way road, drive only in a permissible way. Laos, do not park your vehicle in reverse on a one-way street.
15. Stop lines
Stop your vehicles behind the stop lines. Make sure your vehicle has not come ahead of Zebra-crossing on the road without stop lines.
16. Do not tow
Maintain a safe distance between two vehicles on the road. This rule does not apply to the Mechanically disabled and those confiscated by the police.
17. Do not make noise
You must not create unnecessary noise in no-honking zones like hospital zones, school zones, etc. Driving with Non-OEM. Non-OEM spec silencers are not allowed.
18. Obey signals
You must follow traffic lights and signs.
19. Do not have obstruction of view
Your car’s windshield should be clean and do not contain any stickers.
20. Right of way
Every driver has the right way on steep roads, i.e., if any vehicle is inclining, they have the right way to lean.
21. Maintain your speed
Pedestrians are not allowed to drive at more than 25 km/hr when passing a procession, meeting, strike, or march.
22. Tractors and Goods
Tractors and Goods Carriages are prohibited from carrying passengers on a tractor or a goods carrier.
Overloading vehicles is illegal.
24. Carrying explosive/flammable things are prohibited
Carrying explosives, flammable or harmful substances are not allowed.
25. Reverse driving
When driving in reverse, make sure it won’t inconvenience others.
Road Safety Rules for cars
Following road safety rules should be followed by drivers and the other passengers of a car or an SUV.
- Wear a seatbelt: A seat belt keeps you safe inside your vehicle. Even if you are in the rear, you must wear a seat belt.
- Avoid distractions: It is not allowed to use your phone while driving.
- Do not drink and drive: Driving after consumption of alcohol is prohibited and punishable.
- Do not exceed the speed limit: You must maintain the speed limit while driving.
- Do not jump over traffic signals: You must follow traffic rules to ensure everyone’s safety and avoid further serious consequences.
Road Safety Rules for Bikes:
Bikers/ scooty drivers should wear a helmet. A helmet protects you from a severe head injury in case you fall.
Do not swear between the lanes. Two-wheeler drivers often swerve between the lanes and squeeze in the tiny gaps, which can cause accidents. Thus, avoid swearing between the lanes.
Road Safety Rules for Kids / Children
1. Be aware of safety signals
If you are a parent and have a kid who roams on the road, your kid must be aware of traffic signals and lights.
Teach your kid that red light means stop, and green means the vehicle should resume driving.
Being aware of signal lights would keep your child safe from accidents or other injuries while crossing the road.
2. Be attentive to horns and another warning
You must teach your children to pay attention to horns, so they can move aside or continue walking while making sure of their safety.
3. Do not run on busy roads
Kids are always excited to move quickly and freely. But it could be risky on busy roads. Thus, make them understand the risks of running on the streets and crossing them and not doing that.
4. Use sidewalks
Footpaths are made for pedestrians. Using sidewalks is the best way to walk on roads conveniently without disturbing vehicles and with both sides’ safety.
5. Do not stick hands outside of the vehicle
It is very dangerous to stick your hands out of the running vehicle, so do not let kids do that.
6. Stay away from blind spots
Walking on bend roads or roads with blind spots is a high risk, as children and drivers might not be able to see each other while crossing the road. Hence, choose roads with no blind spots.
7. Ride bicycle safely
Teach your kid to ride a bicycle safely and slowly, especially on the road. Ensure the bicycle is in good condition, it breaks, the chain works properly. Provide a helmet to a kid to ensure safety.
8. Do not disturb moving vehicles
Kids should always be belated in moving vehicles. Do not allow them to stand or disturb the driver.
9. Look around while getting out of the vehicle
Do not open the car’s door suddenly or do not step outside of the vehicle suddenly. You must look around before doing that.
10. Avoid doing other things while driving
Distractions can lead to severe injury or accident while causing, thus, be focused while driving.
11. Wear bright clothes
Clothing is an important thing while driving. If you wear dark colours, there are chances you might not be visible at night. So prefer using bright colors.
Road accidents have been a severe issue in India; everyone must follow road safety rules and regulations to avoid road accidents. This article has discussed road safety rules for cars, bikes, and kids.