How to Reset UPI PIN: Having an account with Unified Payment Interface (UPI) is becoming more common. With UPI, you can pay for groceries, gas, lunch, etc., all without ever having to reach into your wallet.
So what happens when you forget your UPI PIN? Here are some quick steps to get you on the right track and help you reset your UPI pin.
What is UPI?
UPI PIN is a new payment system that enables people to make payments. It facilitates financial transactions like money transfers and bank transfers, apart from shopping on online stores and apps.
The Unified Payment Interface (UPI) was announced in April 2016 and is valid for any Indian bank account holders, right from large private banks to regional banks.
The UPI PIN system makes payment on all popular apps like Bharat Interface for Money (BHIM), Google Tez, PhonePe, etc., very convenient by allowing users to make instant payments using a mobile number as credentials.
Creating a UPI id is extremely simple. If you already don’t have one, you can read this guide on How to Create a UPI ID to get your UPI ID. In this article, we’ll discuss how to reset your UPI id if you forgot your UPI password.
How to Reset UPI PIN for BHIM App?
UPI PIN is a four-digit number used to authenticate the user for UPI transactions. If you have forgotten your UPI PIN or if it’s expired, you can reset it using the steps mentioned in this blog post.
Follow these simple steps, and you’ll be able to reset your UPI PIN in no time! Please note that these steps will work only for Android devices.
Steps to Reset UPI PIN for BHIM App:
1. First of all, you need to open the “BHIM” app on your Android device.
2. You would see a screen that has 2 options – Get New UPI PIN & Forgot UPI PIN. Tap on Forgot UPI PIN.
3. You will be asked to enter your registered mobile number and choose a recovery option. There are four options – OTP, Secret Question, Bank Account Number/Branch Name & Aadhaar Number. Choose the option that you wish to use for resetting your UPI PIN.
4. If you choose OTP, a six-digit OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number, and you’ll have to enter the same to continue.
5. If you opt for a Secret Question, you need to answer a secret question like mother’s maiden name, etc.
6. For the Bank Account Number/Branch Name option, you need to provide the correct bank account number or branch name selected by you during registration.
7. If you choose Aadhaar Number, please be aware that this process can take some time since UIDAI needs to verify your details before resetting the PIN. After successful verification, you will be asked to enter the new UPI PIN.
8. If this is not your default mobile number, you need to provide MPIN here. MPIN for mobile banking transactions is usually 4 digit number printed on the backside of your Debit card under the signature strip. Usually, MPIN along with a registered mobile number is set during the time of opening your account. You can check this from your bank.
9. Once you provide the MPIN, select Done, and your UPI PIN will be reset!
10. After a successful PIN reset, you need to re-register on the BHIM app using the new UPI PIN and Restore Backup option. This process is crucial since it ensures that you will not be logged out of the app if your registered mobile number changes.
Note: Currently, you can reset UPI PIN for the BHIM app only on Android devices